Pink, purple, white, blue, yellow, red and bright greens are all of the colors I see emerging from the barren branches. Just a few weeks ago the days were colorless outside, cloudy, and a bit dismal. Today reached a near 83 degrees and flowers are clustering around like a party is about to begin. Color. It's all around us. Spring has announced its arrival with pops of color. As you can tell, March posts have really focused on the power of color. Color can sway a space and a mood with very little effort. So when it comes to selecting colors for your home or space, be sure to consider the mood or style you're after. Picking paint is the best place to start when trying to revitalize a new mood. Paint, as you know now comes in various lines and options and can be the cheapest way to make BIG change. So how do you chose the right color for your space? What things should you consider when selecting a paint? Well, let me tell you what I know when it comes to paint.
- Paint defines a space's mood.
- It comes in every color known to man, and then some.
- Brings the biggest bang for your buck with less than $100 for most rooms
- It comes in a variety of sheens for all locations
Okay, you might be saying I already knew all of this. How do I chose the right color? Here are some colors that might help you determine the style and mood to choose:
- Soothing and relaxing- gray, white, taupe, blush, cream
- Modern and upbeat - white, yellow, orange, black, chartreuse, gray
- Shabby Chic and fresh - blush, cream, white
- Classic and cool - navy blue, white, taupe
- Vintage and vibey - green, orange, pink, black, white
- Urban and Industrial - gray, blue, black, orange, chartreuse
As you can see colors paint a picture. So what mood or style are you after? Which of these best describes your space? Of course, my brief list is not all encompassing, but it's a great way to get started. As a starting point, chose a piece that you love within your space. It could be a piece of furniture, a rug, or even a piece of art. Determine the style and mood you're after and select the paint based on the piece you love and your style. Add some additional design flare with other elements of color like pillows, fabrics, artwork, and more. Don't be afraid of painting with color or changing it up a bit. Remember, paint is cheap and you can always paint right over it if you hate it.
For more design advice or tips, follow us on social and this blog.